Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Simulating the cut

The working model can and does have a lot more detail than the final cut.  So I simulated what final would look like.  Aspire is like having 2 programs in one..  The first side builds the model the second generates the cutting paths and simulates tool cuts..  It is a mind-bending right brain left brain thing..  One thing I wish Aspire could do is have custom paths you could cut in..  Right now it just has spiral and in a straight line.  I would like to be able to enter in a wave or helix pattern to leave the cutting witness in the work when I am done..  It would add one more level of texture to the work..



I ran 6 cuts over the same part.  First a spiral v bit cut then 5 round bit cuts
First at 0 deg
2nd at 90
3rd at 60
4th at 30
and the
5th spiral again but this time it had a round nose.

I don't think this is practical in real life.  You can spend 3 to 4 hours cutting and get the same results as 20 min with a bit of sandpaper. I might be forced to stick with 2 path runs and 1 tool change.

No comments:

Post a Comment